Spring Minestrone Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 tbsp olive oil 1 medium onion, finely chopped 2 medium
This tasty seasonal recipe was created by the team at Salon Brixton.
For the chicken:
1 organic chicken, approx 2kg
Half a lemon
Half a head of garlic
A few sprigs thyme
50g butter, softened
Sea salt and black pepper
A couple of shallots, halved lengthways (optional)
For the salsa verde:
Half a bunch of parsley, leaves picked
A mixture of other herbs that’s more or less equivalent to the amount of parsley you have: mint, tarragon, chervil, chives, wild garlic, etc…
6-8 anchovy fillets and their oil
a handful cornichons
2 tsp capers
1 small clove of garlic
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
3 tbsp good quality olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
500g Jersey Royals
300g Purple sprouting broccoli
- Get the chicken out of the fridge at least 2.5 hours before you want to eat it.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees c.
- Season the cavity of the chicken with sea salt and black pepper, then squeeze the lemon inside, add the garlic and the thyme.
- Rub the butter all over and season with salt. Place in a snug baking tray and roast for 30 minutes until the skin is golden.
- Add the shallots if using, turn the oven down to 180 degrees and continue roasting for another 30-40 minutes until the juices run clear. Remove from the oven and set aside to rest for at least 15 minutes – the total cooking and resting time should be no more than 1.5 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa verde. Using your sharpest knife, chop the herbs finely. Chop the anchovies, capers and cornichons, and mince the garlic.
- Add everything to a mixing bowl and add the mustard and mix well.
- Cover with just enough oil to bring everything together, then add the vinegar. Check the seasoning and add a pinch of salt if you like.
- When you are ready to serve, tip the chicken cavity over the roasting dish to catch all the juices and give everything a quick whisk.
- Carve the meat off the bone, and serve with steamed purple sprouting broccoli and buttered Jersey Royals. Enjoy!
Spring Minestrone with Jersey Royals
Crispy Jersey Royals with creamy feta sauce
Crispy Oregano Jersey Royals with creamy feta sauce Serves 4 Ingredients: 500g Jersey Royals, halved or
Jersey Royal coconut curry with greens
Serves 4 INGREDIENTS: 500g Jersey Royal potatoes, washed 1 tbsp vegetable oil 2 garlic cloves,
Jersey Royal Spring Tartiflette
Jersey Royal Spring Tartiflette Serves 8 Ingredients: 1 k Cooked Jersey Royals New Potatoes , cooled
Baked eggs with Jersey Royals and tomatoes
Ingredients: 400g Jersey Royals 30g unsalted butter 225g chestnut mushrooms, quartered 150g cherry tomatoes halved 4
Jersey Royals with Spiced Potted Shrimp Butter
Jersey Royal New Potatoes with whipped spiced potted shrimp butter Serves 4 Ingredients: 800g Jersey