Serves 2 for a main course or 4 as a starter 450g Jersey Royal New Potatoes,
This tasty seasonal recipe was created by the team at Salon Brixton.
For the chicken:
1 organic chicken, approx 2kg
Half a lemon
Half a head of garlic
A few sprigs thyme
50g butter, softened
Sea salt and black pepper
A couple of shallots, halved lengthways (optional)
For the salsa verde:
Half a bunch of parsley, leaves picked
A mixture of other herbs that’s more or less equivalent to the amount of parsley you have: mint, tarragon, chervil, chives, wild garlic, etc…
6-8 anchovy fillets and their oil
a handful cornichons
2 tsp capers
1 small clove of garlic
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
3 tbsp good quality olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
500g Jersey Royals
300g Purple sprouting broccoli
- Get the chicken out of the fridge at least 2.5 hours before you want to eat it.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees c.
- Season the cavity of the chicken with sea salt and black pepper, then squeeze the lemon inside, add the garlic and the thyme.
- Rub the butter all over and season with salt. Place in a snug baking tray and roast for 30 minutes until the skin is golden.
- Add the shallots if using, turn the oven down to 180 degrees and continue roasting for another 30-40 minutes until the juices run clear. Remove from the oven and set aside to rest for at least 15 minutes – the total cooking and resting time should be no more than 1.5 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa verde. Using your sharpest knife, chop the herbs finely. Chop the anchovies, capers and cornichons, and mince the garlic.
- Add everything to a mixing bowl and add the mustard and mix well.
- Cover with just enough oil to bring everything together, then add the vinegar. Check the seasoning and add a pinch of salt if you like.
- When you are ready to serve, tip the chicken cavity over the roasting dish to catch all the juices and give everything a quick whisk.
- Carve the meat off the bone, and serve with steamed purple sprouting broccoli and buttered Jersey Royals. Enjoy!
Smoky fried Jersey Royal New Potatoes with crab mayo and lemon aioli by Thomasina Miers
Jersey Royal New Potato, thyme and cheese puff tart by Thomasina Miers
Serves 4 350g Jersey Royal New Potatoes, very finely sliced on a mandolin, by
Roast Jersey Royal New Potatoes with feta, harissa yogurt and toasted almonds by Thomasina Miers
Serves 6 as a main, 10 as a side: 1 kg Jersey Royal New Potatoes, scrubbed
Jersey Royal, lovage emulsion, walnut and caperberry salad by David Crichton
This recipe was created by the chef David Crichton, Masterchef Runner-Up 2018. Ingredients 200g mix of
Jersey Royals, chorizo and halloumi baked eggs by Timothy Dela Cruz
This recipe was created by Timothy Dela Cruz, former head chef at Jason Atherton’s Pig & Palm
Jersey Royal New Potato tacos with Lincolnshire Poacher crumbs and green salsa by Thomasina Miers
Serves 4 800g Jersey Royal New Potatoes, scrubbed 4 tbsp olive oil 2 yellow onion, diced